Monday, May 23, 2005

Conservative introspection Round II: Conservatives criticizing 'Conservative silence' in the face of fault.

Here's a critique by a conservative in the National Review of the relative silence from the Right about missteps by Americans in the war on terror, from those recent pictures of Saddam Hussein in his underwear, to more serious faults. In short, the message is that 'Cheerleading doesn't win wars'.

Good quote:

"True, it is the first duty of an American patriot to do what he reasonably can to support American soldiers who have put their lives on the line to defend both the liberties of Americans and the liberties of others. But as distinguished conservatives in the past have demonstrated, a patriot may criticize the acts or policies of the executive in war-time without breaking faith either with the troops or with his country."

For me, I agree with a good portion of this. I do take issue with his characterization about human nature. As much as it pains me to say it, at least under this article's definition, I'm more of a Rousseauian than an Augustinian. (Ack! But I hate Rousseau!)

And I disagree with some other definitional things, but I suspect this guy is merely more Conservative than I am in certain senses. All said, it's well worth reading, especially for Conservatives.